Igartza: life in the Middle Ages
At the beginning of the 16th century, María de Igartza ordered the construction of the palace that can be seen today on the site where until the year 1476 a medieval tower-house stood. In addition to being the largest wooden palace to be built in the Basque Country, it is the only one that has an aerial gallery and a central wooden patio. In fact, that is what gives character and heritage value to the building.
In the interior the central patio dominates, since all the rooms are positioned around it. The aerial gallery, whose structure is made of wood, also stands out as the most attractive feature of the palace.
On the walls of the main room there are 400-year-old paintings, where two boats and some writings can be seen.
Between 1996 and 2000, the Sociedad de Ciencias Aranzadi (Aranzadi Science Society) began a process of investigation and documentation of the building. The conclusions drawn were used to carry out the scientific restoration that was promoted by the Town Council of Beasain and the Provincial Council of Gipuzkoa, working in collaboration, between 2007 and 2010.